01. Origin and goal of the museum.
Created in 1980 on the initiative of Lieutenant-General Pierre Roman, Chief of Army Staff and early Lieutenant Commando in 1942, the Commando museum relates and illustrates the history of the Belgian Commandos since 1942, year of the creation in Great Britain of the first Unit, the "4Th Troop of N° 10 Inter-Allied Commando", to date.
Very modest in its early years, the museum currently comprises about twenty
rooms and is in continuous development thanks to the gifts of its famous
representatives through time.
The collections, presented in chronological order and/or by theme, (documents, material, equipment, armaments, vehicles and souvenirs), illustrate the historical stages and the evolution in time of the Belgian Commandos.
The museum contributes to the maintenance of the traditions and ensures the promotion of the history of the Belgian Commandos.
Where, when, how to visit the museum?
2nd Commando Batallion
Second lieutenant Thibaut Barracks
rue Durieux n° 80, - 5020 Flawinne
- Secretariat Batallion 0032(0)2 44.21.012 (from 08h00 to 16h00);
- Treasurer (private) 0032(0)81/73.50.21
- Secretaire (private) 0032(0)475/60.98.22
Opening days and hours :
Every Saturday from 13:00 to 18:00.
Closed on Sunday.
Visits all the other days of the year, but only for groups (10P minimum) and on appointment one month in advance.
Price of the visits and formalities:
Admission free and no formalities.
You are welcome at the entry of the Barracks by a person responsible for the museum.
a. By road :
- coming from Gembloux/Brussels, or the motorway of Wallonia, (E 42, exit No 13), at the first crossroads with lights of Belgrade, turn right towards Flawinne and follow the arrows "Commando museum". The barracks are located +/- 500 m from the crossroads.
- coming from Namur, follow the Gembloux/Brussels direction. At the crossroads with lights of Belgrade, turn left towards the barracks, and follow the arrows "Commando museum". The barracks are located +/- 500 m from the crossroads.
- coming from Charleroi, at the roundabout after Floreffe, drive in the direction of Flawinne and follow the signs "Flawinne, Centre, Barracks," Commando museum ".
Drive in the direction of Flawinne at the roundabout Follow Flawinne, Centre, Barracks
b. By public transport :
- by train to de station of Namur ;
- then take a "TEC" bus (line No A - direction "Belgrade") at platform A, along the station in front of the post office. (Departure: +/- every fifteen minutes, duration: 15 minutes, step out at the bus stop "Barracks", at 100m from the entrance of the Barracks).